Hey there! Welcome to The Exceptionally Ordinary Life! I am super duper excited to have you here 🙂
There is always a but, right?
Before you dive in, I want to share with you a bit about who I am.
First off, my name is Jessica, but my family, and friends call me Jess, so I’d say go right ahead, and call me Jess as well. I mean, I am seriously hoping to become your new online friend.
As many other women out there, I wear many hats every single day, sometimes simultaneously.
My roles in life include:
- Wife to a wonderful man. No, he is not perfect. Yes, he drives me a bit crazy every day. But also yes, he is THE best partner in crime any woman could ask for. We are a team of boring adults, who love to relax, and spend all our free time together.
- Mom to 3 brilliant human monsters. Two of those 3 are now college students, and the little one is a fourth grader. Yes, they get on my last nerve frequently. Yes, I am beyond proud of all three. But no, I would not change a thing about them. They are wonderfully imperfect in every way.
- Mom to 2 monster cats. Our amazing, playful, needy, and often weird cats, Ginny, and Sparky are just the perfect fur babies for our family.
- Grandma to a gorgeous Grandkitty named Luna, a. k. a. Loony Bin, Raccoon Tail, Lunatic. She is a little ball of energy all wrapped up in fur. And yes, her tail is very fluffy, hence the Raccoon Tail nickname.
- I’m also ME, and no one else can claim that. While I’m as imperfect as can be, I love my life.
A few tidbits about myself
- I am Puerto Rican, born, bred, and extremely proud of it.
- I have a dark, sarcastic, self deprecating humor side. Well, basically all my sides are like that.
- A few of my weaknesses are handmade/homemade things, graphic t-shirts (or any other product, really), YA literature, particularly dystopian, and thrift shopping.
- You would be hard pressed to find a more obsessed Harry Potter fan. I literally LIVE Harry Potter!
- Books are my thing. Like, I am a book-aholic, and not looking to quit anytime soon.
- Cooking is probably the one thing about homemaking that I hate the most. Cleaning is a close second 😉
- While not very crafty or creative, I enjoy finding cute little projects on Pinterest, and giving them a try. Even if they turn out hideous.
- Most people consider me a very serious person, but my kids think I am a hoot. Sometimes, at least.
- I graduated from college with a B.A. in Forensic Psychology, which I have done absolutely nothing with. Can’t say I regret it, though.
- Many moons ago, I was a professional dancer. Nope, not a pole dancer, even though that might sound more fun. I was trained in ballet, flamenco, modern dance, jazz, contemporary, and hip hop by some pretty amazing pros.
- Thanks to my mom, I can understand, write, read, and speak both English and Spanish fluently.
- I laugh hard and loud.
- Sadness rarely makes me cry. But I do cry when I see something inspiring, when I am overflowing with happiness, or when I am raving mad.
- Although I am shy, and don’t make friends easily, when I do make a friend, I keep it forever. In fact, some of the most important people in my life have been my friends for over 30 years.
- I am fairly uncomplicated (I think), but have a horrible temper that mostly surfaces when someone is unfair to my loved ones. Or when I know I am right about something that really matters to me.
- The concept of boredom eludes me. No, seriously. I can’t recall one single moment of boredom in my life.
Here are a few candids of my family (Yes, I am the weirdo making a crazy face with the Azkaban sign. No, I cannot bend myself like that to pick up a handkerchief anymore. Or maybe I can… I just don’t think I could get back up 😀 )
One of the biggest struggles of my life is with managing money. Of all the things I know my Mom taught me to do right, managing finances was definitely not one of them.
As a result of her poor money managing skills, we often struggled and lived in a constant state of unrest. This, sadly, is the path I followed as an adult myself. No, I am not blaming my Mom. I realize that making better choices is an individual task.
Thru lots of stumbles, headaches, and yes, even a few overdrafts here and there, I found that I had finally had enough. I haven’t yet mastered the art of managing our family finances, or how to live simply, AND stay in budget, while living the best life I can. But I have learned quite a bit, and continue to learn as I go. Because life, learning and growing is a work in progress; not something to master, but to enjoy and appreciate. And I would love nothing more than for us, you and I, to learn more, and grow more, together.
Rounding it up…
There you have it. Sure, there is a lot more about me. But I am hoping you decide to stick around and get to know me even better thru my posts. Oh, and head over to the About The Exceptionally Ordinary Life page to find out all there is to know about the blog and how I hope to serve you better.
Please, do not hesitate to email me, or contact me thru my social media channels. I am hoping that we can both learn from each other, and have a good time making the best out of the life we have!
Follow me on social media
The Exceptionally Ordinary Life on Pinterest
The Exceptionally Ordinary Life on Facebook
The Exceptionally Ordinary Life on Instagram
The Exceptionally Ordinary Life on Twitter